Friday, October 29, 2004

My life lately . . .

With the October coming to a close, I am finding myself at a loss for how much has actually happened in the last month.

Old Navy . . . I started my job at the end of September and it certainly has been an interesting progression there. I work with some really great people, who I have really enjoyed getting to know better in the last month. I began my job as a regular sales associate who worked mostly days, then by some chance of luck, I was put on shipment. This meant that I would be working from 6am-3pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I just finished my second full week of doing shipment and it has been a less than enjoyable situation. For some odd reason I really do enjoy working retail and I really have no problem working hard, but the ways things are run at my store, well they frustrate me to no end. So after my twelve hour day yesterday, both the management and myself are not sure how much longer I will be doing shipment. I have an overnight at work tonight and will hopefully be speaking to my manager then, I really hope I am able to explain/articulate well the things that I have been thinking and what has been frustrating me.

The life I left in NY . . . Granted I have only really moved my life twice (going to Zion Bible Institute and moving to Columbus) but I have certainly handled this move much better than when I went off to college. See back when I went to college I basically dropped off the face of planet to the people I knew in NY . . . I did not call, write, email, or even let them know I was still alive. I practiced a very good out of sight and out of mind. But this time it has been very different. Granted I also developed a lot more relationships and roots in NY this time around . . . I had made for myself a life that I loved filled with people I loved and loved to be with. So when I left this time, I was determined to stay in touch. And I have done just that. I talk to the youth every now and then (especially my tenth grade friend Chris who is trying to brainwash me by repetition to come back to NY), I stay updated on the happenings of the kids that I spent a year getting to know. I miss the late Friday night trips to the diner (what would be possess me and Kathy to take ten of most crazy and awesome kids into a public place at 10:30pm on a Friday . . . I have no idea) . . . they were such fun times. I miss going to the movies once a week with Kathy and getting our Chinese food before youth every Friday and hanging out at her house watching movies to no end. I miss being a part of the daily lives of some the awesome teenagers I have ever come to know. Because even though I still talk to them on the phone or the computer and get updates every now and then, it is different . . . it is a lot different than picking them up every Friday for youth or going out to lunch after church or running into each other in the mall.
Then there is my family (who I finally called some of them for the first time on Wednesday night) who I never really saw myself missing, but there role changed in my life significantly the last year I lived at home. Prior to last year my family (extended) had a good relationship, one that revolved around holidays and occasional get togethers. But during this last year they became an active part in my daily life for the first time. I suppose living with my grandmother and working for my uncle and aunt played a role in that. But I really enjoyed the time I was able to spend with them and developing those relationships. I also really hope I can maintain the quality that developed (in both the relationships with my family and friends) even from here in Columbus.

My "new" life here in Columbus (except for my previous entry in which I mention those surreal moments where I stand amazed at all that has happened and changed in my life) is simply life. It is not some amazing revival service or youth camp or convention or spiritual getaway, it is living a life. A life filled with people, community, living and work. A life filled with Wiggles, swinging, the Big Red Car, adorable little pumpkins, and dinners with the Stetlers & Luis. There is much more that fills my life but I want to take a brief moment and talk about dinner. Dinner has become one of my favorite parts of the day (that I don't enjoy missing . . . which was part of my frustration with my twelve hour day at work yesterday) simply because I get to be present with these people and just be there (there is also the phenomenal food that Kerri makes). Life with the Stetler's is great . . . there really isn't anywhere I would rather be . . . and this is where I am staying. Part of my life in Columbus, a very big part is the community of faith I have become a part of.
And I am not sure if I am "allowed" to feel this way yet about the community I have become a part of, but I do. See I heard this quote a few weeks ago and it very much described how I feel about these people that in such a short time have become like family to me. "I love you not only for who you are, but for who I get to be when I am with you". These people that have become my life they are so amazing. So I love them for the amazing people that they are and also very simply, because I get to be me with them . . . and that to me is one of the greatest gifts anybody can ever give some else, the chance to be themselves, to be who they are and help them figure out who they are becoming.

To help illustrate my point (and since I have not blogged about my daily life all that much lately) here were the happenings of last weekend . . .

A Weekend of Life in the Community . . .
Friday : Went to the park with Riley, Luis, Trey & Kerri. Watched Miracle with Kerri while eating smores, skittles and yummy popcorn.
Saturday: Hung out with Micah in the morning. Watched some of the Buckeye game. Car would not start so the cool Stetler's gave me a ride to 64 King. Hung out with Amy Smith and watch Murder in Greenwich. Went to Bob Evan's with Amy & Micah. Realized the safety hazards of being in a car with someone who is talking on a cell phone while driving in the rain (good times, good times). Went home and watched thirty minutes of TV. Received a call from Dan Fox who asked me if I wanted to hang out and play some games with him, his lovely wife Amy Joy, Blinn and Amy Smith. Got picked up by Dan Fox and went back to 64 King where Amy Joy and I proceeded to kick Amy, Blinn and Dan's butt in the Taboo.
Sunday: Got my car towed by AAA. Hung out with Kerri, Riley & Trey all day. Got ready for Mark, Amy & Micah to come over for dinner. Enjoyed an awesome evening with the afore mentioned people and the wonderful Doug Wharton.

~So as always there is more to say, but this entry is long enough . . . and there's always next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home