Wednesday, February 16, 2005

"It is precisely at this point that agape, love, shows its difference from the Greek ideal of philia, friendship, in which reciprocity played such a central part. The concrete actions that characterize this community of love may be described as acts of identification on the one hand, or substitution on the other. Identification, the solidarity of the members with one another, goes beyond mere sociality, for each is inextricably involved in the life of the other. Substitution, bearing one another's burdens in quite tangible ways, goes beyond mere helpfulness or even compassion. Prayer made by one member of the community for another and especially suffering undergone by one member on behalf of another are just two examples of what is in view here."

-Paul's Idea of Community by Robert Banks (pg. 54)

A little over five months ago I had no idea what the kingdom was about or what "community" was and the commitment that came with it. But each day that I wake up here in Columbus, Ohio I am learning more, and as the days pass I am falling more in love with this life, with these people, my community of faith, my family, that I have committed my life to.

When I left a comment on Palmer's blog eight months ago, I had no idea the direction my life was about to take . . . but I do know that I could never thank him enough . . .

Peace to you and yours . . .

. . . and healing for Palmer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home