Thursday, November 11, 2004

Renewing The Mind

So I have not been extremely vocal at the gatherings and thus have not really given any input on all of the things we have been talking about as we are going through Romans 12. In hopes to make up for my lack of being vocal I have tried to process my thoughts over the last fews with the plan of writing some of it out here. So please bear with me if it appears that I am not making any sense.

The Renewing of the Mind

In my background renewing of the mind was always closely related to spiritual formation. At the core of spiritual formation is the desire to become more and more like Christ . . . which I think is would also be the end of result of renewing the mind. So in knowing that the goal is to become more like Christ, the next thing is to figure out how to do that. As a community it is not only neccisary to see how we as individuals can make this happen . . . but how it can happen as we as community of people seek to follow Jesus and renew our minds together. For me personally it is has always been about awareness.
It is about being constantly aware of the way God is shaping us, molding our lives. And not only aware of the end result (the change) but of how we get there. Of the words He speaks into our lives, of the cirumstances we find ourselves in. Of our attitudes towards life and our reactions to situations. It is about being aware of the condition of our heart . . . about how receptive we are going to be if He was to actually speak to our hearts. Are we open to the moving and prodding of the Spirit in directing our lives . . . in forming us in the image of Christ? Or do other things occupy our minds and lives?
I think there are things we can do to increase our awareness, things that would allow us to be more senstive to the way God would like to move with in us and renew our minds. I think (and have found since moving to Columbus) there is tremendous value in liturgy. In mediating of scripture, on things that will direct our minds toward God . . . and I think there is great value in doing it together. I think it is a matter of being consistent, of recognizing that renewing one's mind is not a one time event, but a daily surrender . . . a daily commitment. I think it needs to be a part of the commitment we make to each other as a community . . . because we need to be encouraged . . . to be pushed and challenged . . . for demands to made on our faith and our actions. We simply need to do this together.



~There is more to say . . . but I am tired (as usual) . . . check back for more on renewing the mind and some other things we have been talking about lately.~

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This isn't really a direct comment on your recent post. It's just God placing you on my mind again. I tend to gain a lot of strength from music. This is one that has been filling that need the past few weeks. Part of it new but most of it a very simple old hymn. I just wanted to share it with you.

When I think I'm going under, part the waters, Lord
When I feel the waves around me, calm the sea
When I cry for help, oh, hear me
Lord and hold out Your hand
Touch my life
Still the raging storm in me.
I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford
I need Thee, O I need Thee
Every hour I need Thee
O bless me now my Saviour
I come to Thee
I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain
Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.

I need Thee, O I need Thee
Every hour I need Thee
O bless me now my Saviour
I come to Thee.

Praying or you
Debby

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home